Sunday 31 July 2011

Coral Sea



Coral Sea is the second part of my show Stitches.

I know, I know you all have been impatiently waiting for this second installment of Splendor:-) In case you are new to this blog or you've missed the first part I urge you to scroll down and have a look at Broken Beat first!!!





After the black and white world of Broken Beat we are now immersed in colour. The animation is done after my watercolours of sea, seabirds, waves, palms...
The movement is circular and fluid as opposed to the mechanical, "broken" and doll like of the first one.













I have been fascinated by mermaids since early age, I think it started with bedtime stories about Ulysses, the legendary Greek king, and his voyage that my father used to tell me when I was little. Those beautiful and sinister mermaids are what I remamber most vividly to this day. And later I read a story about these creatures and in a children's book; in this weird version the mermaid would eat the sailor's ears after she had seduced them. The illustration of sailors on the island without ears was really, really spooky. And of course I adore H.C. Andersen's version, in which the mermaid endures terrible suffering to become human because she had fallen in love with the prince. Oh, the drama...

6 comments:

  1. I love mermaids too, I find them so magical and it is believed they sing like angels.
    You truly look like a beautiful mermaid.I adorar all the illustrations and water colors of your show amor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, sorry i had been away and missed alot of your posts!

    please dont hate me... :(((
    i have had some rough days

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You asked me who I thought I was before. I said maybe I was a fish because I love water and you said, you thought a mermaid, maybe. If you were a mermaid, you said, if you were a mermaid, I was the sea."

    some quote.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Oh, nice post.)) Love your blog!!!.))))))

    I need your help ... Soon I am flying to Greece and I will have a two-day shopping in Athens .. You were there ever? If yes, what places you advise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies,

    to indira: so glad that you are back, I have been missing you,
    how could i hate my favourite witch,
    thanks again for stopping by and taking time to write that lovely quote, very beautiful,
    hope you feel better soon, remember we are all in the same boat...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Wonderful I love that you use all your marvellous paintings too! I love mermaids as well and you look stunning as one:)

    ReplyDelete